California Humanities is currently looking for a Program Assistant to join the staff in our San Francisco office. Read on for more information about this opportunity and our organization–and please share this opportunity with those who might be interested! Applications will be accepted through January 31, 2013.
Please join our mailing list (sign-up form below) to receive information about future job and grant opportunities, events, news, and more from Cal Humanities.
ABOUT CAL HUMANITIES
Cal Humanities is a private non-profit that promotes the humanities as relevant, meaningful ways to understand the human condition and connect us to each other in order to become a better California. We create and support programs and partnerships to inspire Californians to learn more, dig deeper, and start conversations that matter among our dramatically diverse people.
As an independent state partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities, we were originally founded in 1975 as a granting organization, but through the years we have produced and implemented our own signature humanities programs and projects. Cal Humanities now plays a critical role across the state in producing, funding, and supporting cultural events and experiences in media, literature, discussion programs, and more.
Our mission: to connect Californians to ideas and one another in order to understand our shared heritage and diverse cultures, inspire civic participation, and shape our future.
Join us in our work to create “a state of open mind.”
OPEN POSITION TITLE: PROGRAM ASSISTANT – SAN FRANCISCO
Reports To: Director of Programs
The Program Assistant is responsible for providing administrative and programmatic support to the program department in alignment with strategic goals and activities, and the mission of Cal Humanities.
• Takes initiative to create and maintains administrative systems to address the needs of the program department with regard to grantmaking and operating programs including:
-participating in application processing and grants management tasks
-drafting and proofreading documents and correspondence
-logistical arrangements for program-related travel, meetings, convenings, panels, etc.
-maintenance of constituent files and databases not covered by the grants manager
-routinely collates and tracks program evaluation data
-creating, contributing to, and/or editing qualitative and quantitative program-related reports
-responding to, screening, and routing in-person, phone, and email program inquiries.
• Takes initiative, in collaboration with program staff, to create and maintain effective communication systems to address the needs of the program department, including:
-maintaining meeting agendas and reminders
-minute taking for program staff and constituent meetings
-facilitating information sharing from outside meetings and events
-maintaining program contact databases
-suggesting and implementing efficiencies.
• Does program content research and research to inform department policies and practices.
• Keeps program staff abreast of program administration issues.
• Other duties as assigned by Director of Programs.
GENERAL OFFICE SUPPORT
• Provides periodic general office reception services in coordination with the Executive Assistant, and is primary back-up for reception, handling mail, ordering supplies, etc. in her absence.
• Provides the first line of response to program-related in-person, phone, and email queries.
• Maintains access, storage, and archiving of program products and materials.
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS
• Upholds and models the internal guiding principles of Cal Humanities.
• Collaborates with the external affairs department to support the implementation of program-related communications and fund development activities including:
-assistance with web-based program content development, uploading, and social networking, as needed
-primary responsibility for updating applicant, grantee, and Cal Humanities program information and activities in the online calendar
-providing development staff with program-related data as needed
• Collaborates with the administration and finance department on financial and administrative matters related to program delivery.
• Assists program staff with the preparation of documents and presentations for the Board, and support Board program committee meetings and full Board meetings as needed.
• Collaborates with Cal Humanities staff on organization-wide projects such as NEH assessment, compliance reports, events, annual/biennial reporting, etc. as needed.
• Participates in program, all-staff, and ad hoc staff meetings and provides information and perspectives.
• Assists the program staff in the cultivation and maintenance of relationships with individuals, organizations, and institutions to further the effective implementation of program goals and administration.
The successful candidate will ideally have the following skills and attributes:
• A strong interest in, and commitment to, the humanities and Cal Humanities’ mission and programs
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to relate effectively to potential grantees and other non-profit professionals, staff, board members, and consultants
• Detail-oriented, with problem-solving skills
• Excellent proofreader
• Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite programs, database programs, and social networking tools–familiarity with donor and/or grantmaking database programs, Salesforce, content management systems, and/or html a plus
• Discretion and the ability to maintain confidentiality
• Sound judgment in decision-making
• Self-starter who assumes hands-on responsibility where necessary, and is able to balance competing priorities and deadlines
• Experience/interest in working in an organization where mutual respect, collaboration, and diversity are valued
• Good people skills, enthusiastic approach to work, punctual and reliable, a good sense of humor, and the ability to communicate well across cultures
• A team player
• A bachelor’s degree, preferably in the humanities. Experience in the non-profit sector a plus.
This position is located in San Francisco. Candidates must be willing to travel occasionally as part of their work. Cal Humanities is an equal opportunity employer that values a diverse staff.
The salary range is $36,000-41,000, depending upon qualifications and experience. Cal Humanities offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package for its employees.
How to Apply: Please email a letter of interest and résumé as file attachments to: email@example.com. Include “Program Assistant” in subject line of email. Applications will be accepted through January 31, 2013. No phone calls please.