California Center for the Book is excited to announce that the 2020 Book to Action application is now live. Thanks to funding from the California State Library, they are able to offer this opportunity to 25 libraries in 2020. New for this year, they have added an in-person orientation and planning session where participants can learn from Sally Thomas of Hayward Public Library and Ramin Naderi from Los Angeles Public Library.
Book to Action is a program framework that takes the basic book club concept and expands it to create a dynamic series of events for adults and multigenerational groups. Librarians work closely with a community partner. Community members read and discuss an engaging book on a current topic, attend author or speaker events, and put their new-found knowledge into action by participating in a community service project or civic engagement activity related to the book.
In 2020, 25 libraries will be selected to participate in creating a Book to Action series.
Each participating library will receive from California Center for the Book:
- $1,000 value/books shipped from Ingram, to give to the public for Book to Action
- $1,000 author/speaker fee, paid directly to the author or speaker of choice
Participating libraries agree to:
- Attend the in-person Orientation if possible (see below)
- Collaborate with at least one community partner
- Plan a Book to Action series that encourages community learning, connection, and volunteerism/community engagement
- Ensure community surveys, program data, and final reporting are completed
- Actively share best practices with fellow librarians and program staff
Do you have questions? Get them answered in this informal Zoom session. No slides, no presentation – just questions, answers, and discussion. This drop in session is a great time to learn from others and fine tune your 2020 Book to Action and Community Conversations with Veterans applications. Don’t forget, applications are due August 15, 2019.
Please review the program pages and toolkits (links below) before you apply. Early applications are strongly encouraged. Input on the toolkits and Veterans themed booklist are welcome at any time.
The California Center for the Book Program Drop in Zoom will run Wednesday, August 7, 2019 from 10:00AM – 11:00AM. Stay for a bit or stay for the hour. Connection info is below. Drop in and ask away!
Register for Zoom Meeting
One tap mobile:
+16699006833,,181880662# US (San Jose)
+19294362866,,181880662# US (New York)
Dial by your location:
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 181 880 662
2020 Book To Action Timeline
- July 22, 2019 – Applications Open. Use this Planning Document to draft your 2020 application.
- August 15, 2019 – Applications Due. Apply at https://forms.gle/51jakYm4SBPCj2UU7
- August 23, 2019 – Program notifications made
- October 24, 2019, 2:00PM – 5:00PM – Book to Action Orientation CLA Pre-Conference Session (travel support is available, pre-conference sessions are free)
- January 2020 – June 2020 – Programs take place
- July 15, 2020 – Book to Action Library Report Due
For more info and to get ready to apply, please visit https://calbook.org/programs/bta/
To access the Toolkit: https://calbook.org/book-to-action-toolkit/