- This event has passed.
OAKLAND– Block Party: The Library We Love is Turning 100!
October 20, 2018 @ 5:00 am – 9:00 amFree
OAKLAND– The Golden Gate Branch Library is turning 100 years old!
Join us for an afternoon of celebration, food, music and fun. Meet neighbors old and new, learn about community organizations and their work, and add your story to the neighborhood’s memory archive!
This free afternoon celebration features local musicians, elders’ stories, hands-on activities for all ages and local food prepared by legacy organizations. The stage will be led by Emcee Cathy Leonard, Golden Gate Community Association co-leader and second generation Golden Gate neighbor and events include:
Blessing and honoring of ancestors with an indigenous elder
- Live music with Golden Gate’s own Sharon Vaughn, local youth musicians Genius Jazz Trio, Back In Session neighborhood band and more!
- Singalong and jam session with the Emeryville Senior Center music group
- Line dancing & Zumba
- Neighborhood memory booth with Commons Archive & St Columba Church Youth
- Artmaking with Kala Art Institute
- Make a custom wallet with Ace Monster Toys
- Free books and button-making with the Oakland Public Library’s mobile Bike Library
- Mend your worn clothes or make something new at Swap-O-Rama-Rama
- BBQ by master griller Mark Lasartemay, grandson of East Bay Negro Historical Society co-founders
- Food from Aunti Frances’ Self-Help Hunger Program
- Former Black Panthers will talk about the BPP Self-Help Hunger Program and the Panthers’ presence in North Oakland
- Learn what’s new with neighborhood organizations like PLACE for Sustainable Living, Arizmendi, Emeryville Senior Center, Charles Porter Rec Center, and more
This presentation is part of Commons Archive, a permanent neighborhood memory bank housed at the Golden Gate Branch Library. To learn more about the project, please visit www.commonsarchive.net. This program is supported by California Humanities through an Humanities for All Project Grant.
Event Date: Saturday, October 20th, 2017, 12 pm– 4 pm
Event location: Golden Gate Branch Library, 5606 San Pablo Avenue, Oakland, CA
For more information go to http://oaklandlibrary.org/goldengate100 or contact the library at 510-597-5023.
The library is wheelchair accessible. Nearby street parking is available. AC Transit bus 72 stops at the library’s entrance.